At Paganel Primary School for the 'Home' project. Two missions, document the day on video and plan my remaining sessions in this term.
Documenting sessions run by artists Chris Bishop and Bobbie Gardner, both new artists in school I think. With my 'almost residency' this year and a series of projects last year, I expect to continue working with Paganel after the summer on a smaller scale, so it's great to see new faces, new skills, new ideas and new energy coming in!
Documenting was done by Year Six pupils with the minimum of support from me. All of year six have spent a term as 'Catseyes Kids' and making weekly reports, so are all reasonably competent film-makers and could have had a good go at this without my input. I always feel they could be reaching a little further towards greatness in their films and so any advice I give is nudging them in this direction. Improving the film they are making, but hoping to improve their practice in the process. The key approaches I'm pushing are relentlessness - always having your mind on what you're filming now, or what you'll be filming next - and active, evolving planning - keeping in mind a vision for the finished film and adapting it as the shoot progresses. Those Year Sixes do like to stop and chat, they just need to keep their chat focused.
No comments:
Post a Comment